Notice: Undefined variable: now in /htdocs/www/mpcp/core/core.functions.php on line 1901
TeacherLore

Possible Uses for Blogs

Scott Leslie has created a matrix of possible uses for blogs in education. You can get to it here.

He begins by considering how different groups might use them: self, students, instructors, other instructors, others on the internet.

They could be used as a Portfolio for each student. If you create a cateogory English 9 and under it a subcategory for each student (Mary, Ted, etc), then you could have them post daily journal entries, brief answers to various questions or assignments, and final essays.

They could be used as a group discussion board. Create a category for a class’s group research project, such as “Quilts”. Ask each student to report on some aspect of quilts, based on a reading or interview. Ask each member to post comments to several of the original posts.

Posted by Michael L Umphrey on 09/03 at 10:59 AM
  1. Ok I see how to respond to the comments.
    I’m thinking about how I will use this as students’ journal and communication place.

Posted by  on  09/03  at  08:59 PM
  2. Renee,

When you made a comment, the program sent me an email with a link to this comment. That’s because the box below this box is checked on my machine. It makes it pretty easy to keep track of when kids or whoever are make comments.

Posted by Michael L Umphrey  on  09/03  at  10:15 PM
  3. Just practicing blogging--but wouldn’t it be fun to conjugate...to blog?  Darlene

Posted by Darlene  on  09/07  at  10:33 AM
  4. I’ve avoided using the word “blog” because it’s such an odd word and doesn’t have immediately appealing connotations for me. But it seems to be here to stay so I might as well get on board.

Posted by Michael L Umphrey  on  09/07  at  11:21 PM
  5. With Scott’s suggestions- how do we find the time to put students on a computer or do we make it homework but not all students have internet or computers at home. How are you(darlene/renee) doing this?

Posted by  on  09/16  at  12:13 PM
  6. We have an English writing lab..so my kids are assigned to a computer..but I am still thinking about various ways to involve students.

Posted by Darlene  on  09/16  at  01:56 PM
  7. I wouldn’t try to force things faster than you have technology to support. I would hate people making me rely on email communications if I didn’t have convenient access to a computer.

Nancy, do your students have access to the computer lab during the day? Or in the library?

Posted by Michael L Umphrey  on  09/16  at  08:56 PM
  8. I do have a computer lab. However, I would like to use the blog as part of a debate and I’m not sure how to organize(put together) the format of the debate. Does one present the issue, have students put comments on the site, and then, come back in a few days to read comments and respond? Is this to much time -is the issue dead to kids after a few days? has anyone seen anything of this sort. I know that it is rare for me to be on my email or enter the heritage site everyday. Does anyone else experience the time crunch?

Posted by  on  09/17  at  03:28 PM
  9. Nancy:
    Sorry about getting back to you on this, but I’m still learning my way around this site.

We have computers in every room in our school--students nearly always have access to computers if they’re not busy with a class.  It should be no problem asking them to blog.  Additionally, many of the students have computers at home.  The ones who do not can also use the public library which is open several evenings a week.  I do know of two students for whom this is a problem, but they both have multiple chances to use school computers during the day.  That’s as far as wel’ve gotten to date.

Posted by  on  09/18  at  10:07 PM
  10. Nancy, I would hope that when kids started reading the responses, the issue would come back to life for them. If you don’t do email and web work regularly, I’m not sure that this teaching approach would be all that beneficial, because I suspect the teacher would need to do quite a lot of online modeling, calling students attention to particular comments made by some students, etc.

One thing I’m wondering about is how effective it might be to get kids to see that the web they are creating with blogs is a permanent cultural resource, and that if each helps by providing researched content, and making suggestions and corrections to others’ work, they can create something truly valuable and important.

My interest in web sites and movies and powerpoint is related to my sense that some young people have an enthusiasm for creating things. I’m as interested in the aesthetic as I am in the critical thinking part. . .teaching the joy of well-made things.

How to do it? I looked at a few teachers blogs, and found most of the student posts perfunctory: “That’s real interesting. I never thought about it that way before.” They didn’t seem engaged. I would expect that--but how do you get past it?

Posted by Michael L Umphrey  on  09/19  at  06:41 PM

Name:

Email:

Location:

URL:

Smileys

Remember my personal information

Notify me of follow-up comments?

Submit the word you see below:

Next entry: Thinking about categories