Notice: Undefined variable: now in /htdocs/www/mpcp/core/core.functions.php on line 1901
TeacherLore

Fools Crow: One Book Montana 2004

One Book Montana continues to grow, with more than thirty Montana groups scheduled or already reading James Welch’s novel Fools Crow. Read more about One Book Montana and about Fools Crow, including discussion guides and resources, at the One Book Montana site. If your class or local book group is reading Fools Crow, please
at the Montana Committee for the Humanities.

Posted by Michael L Umphrey on 09/02 at 11:51 PM
  1. Add another site.  Many of my students read “Fool’s Crow” this summer at the local library and joined in book discussions.

Posted by  on  09/03  at  09:01 PM
  2. I made extensive notes on the book a year ago, and I’m still trying to find time to write them up into some sort of essay.

It’s on my short list of Montana books that deals with questions that I think kids need to be thinking about: the relationship between individual success and community well-being, the balance between our various family roles and responsibilities (son, husband, father), and how to live in unstable and dangerous times.

Posted by Michael L Umphrey  on  09/03  at  10:17 PM
  3. I’ve got a day scheduled with the local librarian to talk about the discussion on Fool’s Crow.  I’ll be interested to see what the students cam up with.

Posted by  on  09/08  at  08:03 PM
  4. When is that? It sounds like another thing I would like to come to, if there’s a way. As soon as I’m in St Ignatius for more than few hours, I’ll get you my September and October schedule to see if we can find a time for me to come over there.

Posted by Michael L Umphrey  on  09/09  at  08:00 PM
  5. Sounds good.  I’ll have some things planned.

Posted by  on  09/09  at  09:50 PM
  6. This year, for the first time in HHS, I am teaching a Native American Studies Class Spring Semester.  Renee, who was the facilitator at Chester for the discussion?  Nancy

Posted by  on  09/13  at  09:17 AM
  7. It was our local librarian.  She’s a rather black and white person, so I’m not sure how good the discussions were.  I do know she’d make sure the kids read the book.

Posted by  on  09/14  at  08:00 AM

Name:

Email:

Location:

URL:

Smileys

Remember my personal information

Notify me of follow-up comments?

Submit the word you see below:

Next entry: Helena Festival of the Book, October 20-24